"The new year stands before us, like a chapter in a book, waiting to be written. We can help write that story by setting goals." By Melody Beattie
New year is starting and that means that companies in the Tampa Bay Area and around the county completed their budgets for 2018. New roles, role expansions, and FTEs (full time equivalent) requests are approved and finalized.
The U.S. economy is doing well and a stronger growth trajectory is set to continue into 2018 (about 2.6% according to Kiplinger). New jobs are expected to be added to the market according to Bureau of Labor and Statistics.
Tampa Bay is home to 19 corporate headquarters with over $1 billion in annual revenues, seven of which are Fortune 1000 companies. Almost 500 foreign-owned companies representing more than 40 nations are established in our community according to Tampa Hillsborough Economic Development Corporation.
How can many qualified candidates, looking for the next career move get hired into these freshly created and approved roles and start their new year with a promise of a better future and career? The answer is pretty basic. Employers are looking for candidates with relevant job knowledge and technology skills and expect new hires “to hit the ground running”
Based on Academy at Araliya research, we found that most companies require the following skills Top five skills:
- communication: verbal and written and ability to work in a team environment
- introspective qualities: including self awareness, motivation and drive, stress management, etc.
- organization: ability to plan, and time management
- technology skills: skills in Microsoft Products (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Database), Hyperion, Oracle, etc.
- problem solving skills: use knowledge, rational thinking, and experience to assess the situation, recommend the best course of action (investigative and analytical skills)
Strategies to get hired:
- Get your resume ready (e.g., highlight relevant experience and accomplishments, quantify where possible, keep it concise and to the point, etc.)
- Get trainings / certifications / experience where there are gaps on your resume
- Do your homework, research the company, industry and any other relevant information or any other items (gaps) to be a more well-rounded candidate
- Applying for jobs strategies: diversify, apply right away, don’t limit yourself and keep an open mind
- Enjoy the process: someone is trying to get to know you and is interested in learning about you, have fun!
If you would like the Academy At Araliya to review your resume and provide improvement recommendations: visit our Workshops + Events page for details.